Fw: Applying On-Line

Subject: Fw: Applying On-Line
From: "Ivan Weiss" <ivan -dot- weiss -at- centurytel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:22:26 -0800

""Dan Hall"" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com> wrote in message
news:<NFBBJKJDAKGKCLKEIANPIEKOCOAA -dot- dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>...
> I have to agree with Laura here.
>
> If you've got enough time to sit around fiddling fonts (nod to AP) and

> styles for your resume, you're wasting time in my book. That would be
> like spending an hour formatting an HTML e-mail. Since resumes are
> intended for _presentation_, rather than sustainability or uniformity,

> designing styles for them seems like overkill.
>
> My question: If you've got enough time to scrutinize resumes for
> styles (how much time is spent on this?) do you really need another
> writer?
>
> I too am surprised to find that there are folks out there checking
> resumes for styles. Frankly, someone who's picking those nits isn't
> someone I'd be interested in working with.

FWIW, all (and I mean ALL) of the recruiters I have worked with say that
if I list Word as one of my skills, they WILL examine my resume with all
the formatting marks visible to see if I have used styles correctly, and
to see if I have used the space bar or the carriage return when I might
have achieved the same result with a style.

These recruiters tell me, unanimously, that failure to do so will indeed
mark a candidate down.

I appreciate that others' experiences might be different, and I would
not say them nay, but here in MS territory, I go with the flow, and by
doing so, I add another tool to my kit.
--
Ivan Weiss http://www.nwguild.org
Vashon WA http://www.unionrecord.com