FW: docs fitting into development

Subject: FW: docs fitting into development
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:00:58 -0800

I'm with the project leader on this, at least as I understand the conflict.

Are we talking content or the help system that contains that content? If I'm
not mistaken, the project leader's concern is with the help system
(WinHelp, HTML, JavaHelp, whatever) being integrated into development early
and not so much with the actual content.

In my last two positions, I have worked in an environment in which help
files went into CVS right alongside the code for the product. It was great
because you could see and test your help as soon as the build was, er,
built. In some cases, help files were blank placeholder files, but places
(and the links among those places) were indeed held, tested early and
waiting for content.

Any lag between the development stage and the docs stage was rounded off in
the last few builds before shipping.

On the other hand, waiting until the final builds to add the help system
itself is more dangerous. Consider the product being ready to go, but a
whole crop of issues suddenly arises because the help file system was never
put into place or tested. The whole ship date could be thrown off.

Andy