RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt

Subject: RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt
From: Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:18:06 -0800

Jennifer and Annamarie's strong vote of "yes" suggests that I should also include proposal writing. I have only written biz to govt and B2B proposals with major emphasis to govt. My proposal writing history is not as impressive as grant writing. Proposal writing fails when the task is given to the sales dept. If your logic is right, I should include proposal writing too?

An example: at the moment I am preparing unsolicited proposals to sell robot helicopters to govt agencies for fire fighting. The robot (the size of a one manned helicopter) can hover and be used to bounce satellite signals off of for telecommunications as well as keep track of each man on the ground and any spots where the fire might flair up. Like grant applications, these are peer reviewed by a team of engineers and scientists with expertise in the field(s)...who fear and hate sales jobs. One of my proposals led to my client's first sale which was for use in wildlife management as the robot can track them without touching them (non invasive and in contrast to the traditional methods of tagging or medical examinations which are often fatal at least major problems for the animals).

It has only been in the last couple of months that I have ever needed to look for TW work. I think of grants as way, way out there from TW. I am a bit intimidated at my lack of usual skills from much of the posts. Grant writers are a very, very different lot. I promise my biz insurance underwriters that I have everything check and double checked by an army of lawyers (not true, usually). There are some legal issues surrounding grant and proposal applications. (I have about 18 years grant writing experience and about 8 in proposal writing.)

You must be looking at/thinking about whole different worlds of TW from mine.
I've lost count of how many positions I've seen that included grant writing as
a desideratum....Not least b/c you so clearly understand how grants work, why they're important, etc. etc. etc.

What does b/c mean?

Well then, what DO you call TW?

Since joining the discussion group, I am feeling quite inadequate with some of my software knowledge. I guess I am thinking TW do more stuff with the back end part of writing than grant or proposal writers, ever touch. Neither grants nor proposals will ever be public to be scrutinized for tags or styles or whatever. Never in a million years will either ever appear on a web site. 95% of both require hard copy only, and usually in quadrillion copies: hand delivered or snail mail (couriers not permitted). Electronic proposals are rare but becoming more common for commodity goods like light bulbs or toilet paper. Solutions to problems, which is what I wright about, are weighted, usually as: 1) experience of company; 2) creative solution; and then 3) cost. These are peer reviewed the same as scientific journals. I have a strong research or abstract science background and understand the process most of the time better than my applied science (engineering) clients.

There seems to be one major difference from what I do and many in the group. I am really left alone to do my wizardry. There is no QA over me, under me, or beside me. The down side is, as I have been trying to avoid learning to design things like web pages, everyone else has moved on to bigger and better tools and tricks and I am left in the dust. I am trying to get in better alignment with what kinds of things are expected in January 2002.

Nora