Acrobat Woes -- B&W output from color FM files

Subject: Acrobat Woes -- B&W output from color FM files
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:31:30 -0500

I recall that there was a simple solution to the problem of having
graphics unintentionally generated in black & white when you generate
PDFs from FrameMaker... But I can't recall what that solution was or
find it in the archives for Techwr-l or FrameUsers.

Here's what's happening: I produce a document in FM 6 with screen
captures and lots of small anchored graphics that I put inline in the
paragraphs, including blue bars and lines in the FM reference page.

* When I generate the PDF (using FrameMaker 6
and Acrobat 5 on Windows XP), the graphics
all come out b&w, including the FM bars and
lines.

* I've tried saving as PDF

* I've tried printing as a PS file
and dropping the PS file on Distiller.

* I've tried different Distiller job options (screen,
print, eBook, etc).

* I've installed the latest generic PS driver from Adobe.

* I have the latest patch for Acrobat (5.0.5).

Now here's the kicker: if I generate the PDF either as a PS and select
'Generate Acrobat Data' in the print dialog box, or directly from the
Save As menu item in FM, the progress meter always stalls when it gets
to one particular FM file midway through the book file. I'm stumped. I
vaguely remember running into this a few years ago and resolving it, but
I can't remember what the resolution was... I know the file isn't
corrupted because if I shut off the 'Generate Acrobat Data' option, it
generates a PS file that I can make a PDF with (although in b&w). Hope
that is all clear. <g>

Thanks to all who reply. And if the answer is in the archives somewhere,
I apologize in advance for not being better at finding it.

Tom.

Tom Eagles Documentation & Instruction
111 Copley Street Pickering, Ontario
L1V 6V6 Canada