RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt

Subject: RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:27:16 -0500

Jennifer and Annamarie's strong vote of "yes" suggests that I should also include proposal writing. I have only written biz to govt and B2B proposals with major emphasis to govt. My proposal writing history is not as impressive as grant writing. Proposal writing fails when the task is given to the sales dept. If your logic is right, I should include proposal writing too? [snip] (I have about 18 years grant writing experience and about 8 in proposal writing.)

Oh my, yes! B2B proposal writing, especially for government projects, can be one of the more lucrative TW niches.

I think of grants as way, way out there from TW. I am a bit intimidated at my lack of usual skills from much of the posts. [snip] Since joining the discussion group, I am feeling quite inadequate with some of my software knowledge. I guess I am thinking TW do more stuff with the back end part of writing than grant or proposal writers, ever touch. Neither grants nor proposals will ever be public to be scrutinized for tags or styles or whatever. Never in a million years will either ever appear on a web site. 95% of both require hard copy only, and usually in quadrillion copies: hand delivered or snail mail (couriers not permitted). Electronic proposals are rare but becoming more common for commodity goods like light bulbs or toilet paper. Solutions to problems, which is what I right about, are weighted, usually as: 1) experience of company; 2) creative solution; and then 3) cost. These are peer reviewed the same as scientific journals. I have a strong research or abstract science background and understand the process most of the time better than my applied science (engineering) clients.

Excellent experience. You should be able to market yourself to any company that bids on government contracts, or handles major corporate projects. The only tool suggestion I have is to learn an SGML authoring application like ArborText or FrameMaker+SGML. An increasing number of government agencies and defense industry contractors are requiring that all proposals and collateral materials be provided in SGML format to ensure compatibility with their internal review and document management systems. (In some corporations, XML is replacing SGML, but the government seems to be running about 6-8 years behind in that respect. The last two RFPs I received still specified only SGML.)