RE: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: RE: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 11:50:45 -0500

At 08:17 AM 2/4/02 -0800, Secara, Maggie wrote:

I have a lot of contracting on my resume because I have an addiction to
living indoors, not because I made a career choice.

I was replying to someone who maintained that some contractors make that choice because they like sabbaticals. I stopped typing the qualifier since people have their own archives or can consult the public archives. I was responding to someone who proudly maintains that they made a choice and should be respected for that choice. A contracting history isn't necessarily a sign of a poor track record. Rather, he said, it should be seen as an indicator of someone who made a choice to work that way. I pointed out that someone who prefers contracting because they like sabbaticals probably won't be interested in captive employment. And, even if they were, they'd have an adjustment to make. I'm not sure I want to subsidize his or her transition time. :)

If a firm wants FT, captives with a history of that kind of work, or people who can show that they prefer to do that sort of work, then people who prefer contracting, aren't what we're looking for. People who contract for the reasons you mention would be not be ignored, likely because like you, they're probably smart people who'd directly address their employment history and explain _why_ they'd contracted despite preferences otherwise. I'd imagine they'd especially do that when replying to an ad that said, "contractors need not apply".

But, fact is, despite that qualifier in our ads, contractors do apply and they don't tailor their cover letter to address why.

Another case of not taking direction well, eh?

kelley