Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:09:51 -0500

At 04:58 PM 2/6/02 -0800, Chris Knight wrote:

The key word here is "read". Kelley, I think you need to acquire some
*direct experience* of working with contractors before you hold forth like
you have. The same may apply to your CEO. And I caution you against simply
accepting his word on this issue; how much is that based on real experience?

AHA! You've misread what was meant by "read". (aside from which I don't believe you have empirical evidence of your claim, correct?)

John Posada was curious as to why I said that I would only hire self-ID'd contractors for a managerial position if I'm desperate.

In order to answer, I felt that we needed to establish first principles. We had to agree on what self-id'd contractors--people very invested in their work AS a contractor. They have walked the walk, and risked their financial security to do that work, yes? That means something important when evaluating resumes.

So, I was asking, "given what I've READ (here on this list) about your identification AS a contractor, have I accurately described some of the reasons given on this list for why one actively chooses to be/c a contractor?"

That is what the question, "is that right?" meant. In order to have a conversation among distrustful people, it helps to establish what people mean. Then, and only then, could I answer his question.

Since he's explained several times over the nearly two years i've been reading, I know that John values contracting because of the maximum control it gives him, that one of the major reasons for job hopping is, for him, boredom.

Elna was clearly bothered by my use of some terms. I don't see how "job hopping" is such a bad thing, not as I read john, for instance. He's very proud of it. Why should that be insulting to you? And more interestingly, As others correctly pointed out, in the new economy, contracting has been the only way to advance for many people.

kelley

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr