RE: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...

Subject: RE: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...
From: Bill Burns <bill_burns -at- lionbridge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:15:58 -0500

Hi, Darren.

> "She's the technical writer in Dilbert's engineering department. Tina
> believes any conversation within hearing distance is intended as an
> insult to her profession and her gender. She strives to maintain her
> dignity while surrounded by engineers who don't have a proper respect
> for her work."

Oh yes... the Dilbert debacleof, what, 1995? Scott Adams followed a debate
on techwr-l about one of his strips (the one with Alice attempting to get
feedback on a blank document. At the end of the discussion, Adams chimed in
and said to expect a technical writer to appear in the strip soon. He noted
that the character would be a composite of the various personalities he had
encountered on the list. In closing, he wrote, "I love my job."

Quite amusing. A few weeks later, Tina was born.

Bill Burns
Technical Communications Manager
Lionbridge Technologies, Inc.
12585 W. Explorer Dr., Suite 150
Boise, ID 83713
Phone: 208.321.4406
FAX: 208.321.4490
E-mail: bill_burns -at- lionbridge -dot- com