RE: breaking out in technical communications

Subject: RE: breaking out in technical communications
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:40:57 -0800

All good points. Certainly you don't need a virtual CS degree or a secret
life as a computer geek to start out on the tech writing road. Also true is
the simple fact that technical writing extends to subject and fields that
are outside that realm with which one might more readily assocate the word
"technical." Writing skills go a long way.

However, beyond the starting-out point, my own TW experience (coming up on
four years now) agrees with Andrew Plato's advice, at least if you wish to
proceed beyond the general user/admin manual work and ascend to that
rarified altitude of the development environment.

The reasons are compelling:

* Personal Growth and Intellectual Challenge - Let's face it, the day goes
by faster if your work bends your brain a little.

* Greater Job Security/Opportunity - High level skills are scarce and
scarcity creates demand. In the depth of last summer's job market blues,
Java API TWs were still in great demand (at least in the SF Bay Area). And
with the economic dive yet to flatten out...

* Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money - Scarcity creates demand, demand drives
up price.

The best news is that your present position offers opportunities to build
those higher-level skills. The engineers love your curiosity and sometimes
wrong-headed questions, and are more than happy to teach you a thing or two.

I started out very technically-challenged (what's a file server?), but have
since gone from basic user guide writing (learned Frame, Acrobat,
PhotoShop), to Web development (WebWorks, HTML, JavaScript, hints of OO
programming), to Java-based apps (intro to Java and XML), and am now
learning more about XML and Java in business and B2B applications. And yes,
I am taking a Java class at night and a basic, long over-due DB class
probably is up next.

Each additional set of skills has been instrumental in getting me that next,
better-paying job. And that counts getting laid off TWICE in 2001.

Good luck!