Copyright ownership exceptions

Subject: Copyright ownership exceptions
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:56:39 -0500

This is from a similar discussion on another list. Maybe some of the exceptions will be useful? BTW--I meant to say "intellectual property" infringement in relation to the trademark comments, not "copyright". Sorry. In any case my error opened up another productive discussion.

There are 10 exceptions/limitations to exclusive ownership in the US Copyright law. At least one attorney I heard recently speaking at the Seattle Freelancers dinner, indicated there were 29 exceptions. In any event these are for different issues in different circumstances, such as libraries, education, digital broadcasting, sound recording, etc.

One can find these in Chapter 1 of the USC Title 17 at this site:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/92chap1.html

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net
"Where it is possible, live in peace with all men."
(Romans 12:18)

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr