Word, Visio and StarTeam

Subject: Word, Visio and StarTeam
From: dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:51:14 -0500

(Cross posted to STC Lone Writer SIG and TechWR-L)

Hi all,
This is one of those bizarre questions that involves several tools being
used in a unique way. But I figured there's got to be one other person out
in tech-writer-land that has done something similar. If that's you, please
help!

As a new method of development, we are planning to use MS Word 2000 to write
requirements and do screen design using the Windows GUI tools in MS Visio
2000. Those documents get checked into StarTeam 4.2 so that the entire team
can access them and to provide version control.

Here's the dilemma: Some of us have been saving the Visio diagrams as TIFs
(or other formats) and placing them in Word. But, this method is cumbersome
if you need to make changes to the screens, which we often do.

Others have been embedding the Visio files in Word. This has caused some
crashing and corruption of our Word docs, even on powerful machines with
lots of RAM.

The other option, which we haven't yet tried, is linking the docs. The
problem with linking is that several of our team members work from home.
When they bring in the docs to check them into StarTeam, they would have to
deal with the problem of different paths to the Visio docs. Plus, when
checking out the docs from StarTeam, I don't know how it would handle the
links. Do they have to remember to check out all linked files? What happens
if they don't? Where do the files have to be placed? In the same folder? Or
does it even matter?

Being the resident Word and Visio "guru" (that's stretching the term!), I've
been charged with finding a solution to this dilemma. Anyone have any advice
or experience they'd like to share?

TIA!

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
800-246-0800