An update, and thanks to all who have offered advice

Subject: An update, and thanks to all who have offered advice
From: Mdjwrites -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:13:26 EST

I came to certain conclusions about my own situation.

I am out of work merely because I do not wish to teach. Most who are unemployed in this country are there through no fault of their own, but because of decisions made by CEO's and the like.

Beginning February 29th, I return to adjunct instruction at Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn, where I worked when I first came to NYC. Patricia, my wife, says I am just doing it for the ego, since the money is so poor. She may be right, but I am back amongst working people, and thus, in a better position to network. As a commuter, there is always the possibility that I will meet someone on the train/subway who needs a technical writer/editor. Always have a few business cards and resumes with you!

Before the year is over, I could conceivably adjunct at 3 or 4 colleges. Never done that before, but many -- in fact most -- of my fellow adjunct instructors do. In addition, I will be observing/helping a colleague who is teaching an editing class at Kingsborough, picking up some much needed skills.

As far as getting out of teaching, the struggle continues. I am volunteering at the college newspaper of my local community college, Middlesex County College. I am listed on the masthead as "Layout editor." It is another position on the resume, and I see no reason to mention that it is volunteer, or, for that matter, that Quo Vadis is a college newspaper unless I am asked.

I have also approached some local newspapers for part-time work.

I continue to transcribe tapes for my parish's 125th anniversary history. Resume reads "Transcribed and edited taped transcriptions for published historical work." Again, no need to mention that it is volunteer work, or that it is for the Church unless asked.

I have finally gotten around to reading James Michener's Centennial, which came up on the list a few weeks ago. Not a great writer, but a hell of a story teller. The second chapter uses narrative form to describe the geologic creation of the earth, and the land that would become Colorado in particular. It struck me that perhaps I could convert Michener's narrative into a technical document, as Michener no doubt converted technical notes into his narrative. And before anyone asks, the document I am designing acknowledges Michener's work as its source, so I am not plagiarizing.

Today, I contacted the NYC 2012 Olympic committee to see if I might volunteer with them as a writer/editor/web designer, and the author Andrew Vacchs, to ask if I might help him in his work with abused kids. The Vacchs is a long shot, as he is a writer, so why would he need a writer, but he is also a hero to me, so I figured what the hell? Obviously, if I can get some experience with an Olympic committee, that could look nice on a resume.

I am about to contact James Loewen, whose book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is, along with Vacchs's "False Allegations," will be one of the texts I am teaching. I am developing a study guide for the book, and perhaps he will be interested in my work.

I am doing what I can to make work for myself. I do not know what the final payoff will be, but I assume it will be there.

Thanks again to all who have offered advice, and if you have any suggestions about what I am doing, feel free to offer them. Thanks again.

Michael D. Jeter