RE: What is our art?

Subject: RE: What is our art?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:52:27 -0800 (PST)

Everythying is relative...techies have different levels of aptitude
and yes, I've worked with some techies who WERE idiots...and not in
the manner I meant before.

> I tell people I'm the "idiot's advocate". I explain things to the
> idiot that the smart people already know. I used this just
> yesterday.
>

> This is good for end user documentation, but not for writing for
> techies, which is a big part of my job. In addition, it pretty
> much insults my lient.

I didn't say it describes "our art", but maybe because I see trying
to classify what we do as an art as somewhat pretentious. This is not
art. It is slogging through reams and gigs of garbage for an
understanding of what the hell is going on, then saying it so
everyone, from the highest to the lowest can get something right the
first time.

Art? no. Skill? yes

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer