RE: Guidelines for using "e" in front of terms?

Subject: RE: Guidelines for using "e" in front of terms?
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:19:15 -0700

I am by no means slamming anyone on this list, because they are out looking
for a reference, and references are always nice to have. It is also wise to
be consistent with one's peers...so I commend asking the question.

However, (comma, pause for affect) I am currently enrolled as a Technical
Communications major at (name witheld) Denver college. I also work as a
tech. writing consultant, so I do have a limited amount of applicable
knowledge.

I am frustrated with the courses, "Technical Editing" for the most part,
because we spend 20 minutes (quite literally) discussing the 15 thousand
ways that tech. writers can legitimately hypenate words. Then, perhaps, for
another 10 minutes, we will discuss the 654,002 ways in which we have seen
it done.

This is extremely annoying! I simply wonder how these type of people
function, not being able to make a decision for themselves. How do they get
dressed in the morning?

I just wish that it could be said that "This is up to interpretation and
situation, it may depend on the company or entity that you are working for."
Then, we will move on. Arghh....

To end my rant, I would like to add some creedence to my frustration. We
have spent four weeks, (12 x 50min classes) on hardcopy editing. My
instructor "is not familiar with Word or Framemaker" so there will be no
focus electronic editing or ways and means of using electronic
documentation. Arggh!!!

It seems that technical writers must live in a cave and be equipped with
only a typewriter.

There is no spellchecker, there is no common sense, there is no such thing
as common sense in this class. Can anyone sympathize?