Re: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic

Subject: Re: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:44:15 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>

> Brad Jensen wrote:
>

> >What impressed me recentl is the one candidate (for a tech sales
> >position) that actually included his snapshot in his email.
> >
> Brad,
>
> In the US that's problematic. There are many large corporations that
> would respond to such a submission with a sharp note indicating it would
> not be passed forward to a hiring manager and enjoining the applicant
> from even applying for another position. This is driven by the fear of
> being sued for discriminating of the basis of race. (And I am not making
> any assumption about the race of the person who sent you his snapshot.
> Nor am I assuming anything about you. This is just a problem for the
> applicant who wants his résumé read everywhere he sends it.)
>
> Dick

Sure, and they should leave off their graduation from Howard.... Their
address if it is on the wrong side of town...

Maybe they can have one resume for real job opportunities and another for
the mega corporations.

If I were an applicant, I'd test it. Or maybe sue the megacorporation for
their de-facto prejudicial stand. They are confirming that they expect
their own process to be prejudicial.

(Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy.)

Send out half your resumes with pictures and half without and see which get
your job interviews. And I don't care what color size or shape or how ugly
you are.

By the way I am about .5% Wampanoag, and my wife and children are Cherokee.
My cousin-in-law is the chief.

( Not that there's anything right with that. - reverse Seinfeld)

Brad Jensen

PS I understand that you were not accusing me of discriminatory intent.
Although people are welcome to accuse me of anything they want, and a
spirited dfiscussion may ensue.