RE: The other side of the coin (was He said...She said)

Subject: RE: The other side of the coin (was He said...She said)
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:00:17 -0500

Ginny Eaton queried quizzically:

> Does anyone out there have a boss that has strong views on
> the role of a technical writer? My boss
> (the president of the company) thinks that a technical should
> not have any *significant*
> programming, networking, etc skills.

Ehhh?? That's a new one on me.

We're technical communicators. This involves communicating with the SMEs,
too. It makes no sense to want a limit to your ability to do this, unless
your boss thinks it will either price you above what he's willing to pay or
make you likely to use terminology that he (or the users) can't understand.

Sounds like he doesn't really know what's going on in this field, which
would be curable except it also sounds like he has a bit of an ego issue
about it. As if he knows your field better than you do ...

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at vitana.com http://www.pixelink.com/

"Clams: The other grey meat." -- Keith Cronin
(Thanks, Keith! I owe you a Bloody Caesar.)