Go Forth and Paper the World (was:What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!)

Subject: Go Forth and Paper the World (was:What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!)
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:17:36 -0500

Margaret Cekis wrote:

<<<Good luck to all of you who are still looking. Keep looking, but
paper the
world with your resume. They do want you; they just do not want to spend
any money to find you right now...>>>

Thank you Margaret. You just said in three lines what I've struggled to
say for a week.

I'm in the Boston area, and I've approached a few hundred companies as
Margaret did when she moved - and I've only scratched the surface of
potential companies. I receive about one serious response per hundred
contacts - given the fact that I'm cold calling (actually cold e-mailing)
that's about what I expect. (This is on top of my regular
contacts/network - who if nothing else, encourage me by telling me that
they WOULD use me if they had the money to pay me...they even contact me
on occasion without any prompting<g>

I have a huge spreadsheet (not to mention Outlook contacts/history) to
track this all. Some of these contacts are eight years old. Successful
engagements have come from people I haven't heard from in two-three
years.

This all takes a MINIMUM of two hours a day to manage and grow, and I try
for four. If you're doing less, you're not doing enough. Oh, and if
you're not nourishing this system when times are *good*, you're falling
down on the job too.

And with Emily Berk's recent thread in mind, I've got to be tough here
(because I am often asked)...I will NOT share my network with anyone who
asks me offline. I do this for three reasons:

* I've spent years creating this system
* I will not recommend people to my contacts that I can't vouch for
* If you can't figure out what I'm doing, and set up an equivalent
system, you're probably the kind of TW that Andrew Plato lambastes all
the time.

To use a Kelleyism - when the "paddle of market discipline" hits you in
the a**, it's time to get resourceful. If you're not resourceful, you got
no business calling yourself a writer.

To use a Platoism - Chuck, get back to work. The library and the
stairmaster are waiting...

PS How tough is it to send an e-mail? What else do you have to do - Watch
Regis and whoever?

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com