RE: Are you a writer?

Subject: RE: Are you a writer?
From: "Farnsworth, Jeremy" <Jeremy -dot- Farnsworth -at- brooks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:49:21 -0500

All,

The discussion of SME's seems to assume that they must be developers of a
product. In software documentation, that is often the case but doesn't have
to be.

I have the luxury of a very competent technical support team whose job it is
to know everything about the product that might be relevant to the customer.
I consider these support professionals my best SMEs because they aren't
personally attached to the product like developers can be, yet they know
enough about it to point me in the directions I need to go for good
documentation. They don't "own" the product or the content...they own the
customer relationship. It's in their best interest to provide me with good
information, but they never assume I'm doing something they could do better.

Jeremy F.