RE: Rewriting and Streamlining

Subject: RE: Rewriting and Streamlining
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:14:13 -0500

Geri,

You've got great source material, so keep it handy. I'd suggest you set it
aside for a bit, while you use the software itself to create an outline of
what the software does. Then prioritize it, maybe by which modules are used
most frequently to least frequently, or from simplest to most complex,
whatever makes the most sense for your users. Then figure out what
procedures need to be explained. Then fill in the blanks with your source
material whatever you have that's new and different.

Your outline will immediately help you streamline, as well as focus on what
needs to be done first. I usually find that I need to provide a bit of
context, then procedures. Then figure out how to lay out it for maximum
readability. Don't forget a good index and well organized TOC.

YMMV, hope this helps a bit.

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso