Microsoft Style Guide

Subject: Microsoft Style Guide
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 14:24:16 +0200

You can blame me and my ilk. When applications software
became a big business, a lot of us technical writers
were attracted by the idea of consistency and repelled
by the idea of reinventing the wheel, and we heard that
at Microsoft there was a company style guide. If we
could get a copy of that, we thought, we could
finesse dozens of trivial decisions avoid unnecessary
idiosyncrasy.

The Microsoft style guide started circulating
underground, like Bob Dylan's basement tapes, and
eventually Microsoft made the same decision that
Dylan did: though the material wasn't intended
for the public, better to release it under supervision
than to have pirate editions circulating.

So Microsoft didn't conceive the idea of foisting
its style guide on the technical writing community;
on the contrary, we (=sob=) wanted it.

Guiltily,

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il