Re: How Much Editing of Graphics Do You Do?

Subject: Re: How Much Editing of Graphics Do You Do?
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:37:57 -0600

Hi Bruce,

I work in a manufacturing company, writing instruction manuals for
industrial equipment. I do a *lot* of graphics editing. In fact, when
people ask me what I do, I tell them I write and illustrate instruction
manuals. I alternately find graphics to be the most fun and most
irritating part of my job! ;-)

Until recently, most of the graphics I worked with were engineering
drawings created in AutoCAD, which I edit in AutoCAD. I delete everything
except the portions that are relevant to the procedure I am writing, remove
hidden lines and center lines, remove unnecessary callouts (like those
pointing to washers and wingnuts), add necessary callouts (to things that
weren't required to be pointed out in an assembly drawing). A couple of
times, I have "fit" two drawings together when part is in one drawing file
and the rest is in another. Then, I bring the drawing into FrameMaker,
size it as needed, and add numbered balloons to the callout lines.

Last fall, I did my first major document containing screen shots, and boy,
did I learn a lot! Some of the shots needed to show two or more states,
and I couldn't always get them all through the version of the software I
was using; one example of this was C for Celsius and F for Fahrenheit...
only the "F" was available, so I brought the screenshot into Corel Photo
Paint and changed the "F" to a "C". I also found out that (at least in my
use of them) gif's didn't print colors correctly from Frame, but if I made
a PDF of the document and printed that, the color came out fine.

Now, I'm working on a document for which the engineer provided me with a
set of digital photos. I have been bringing them into Corel PhotoPaint,
saving them as B&W eps files, and inserting them into my document. You may
remember my post from a couple of weeks ago, trying to figure out how to
make callout lines show up on B&W photos. (Thanks again for all the help
on that one, everyone, it's going great!)

I'm curious now to know which "side" you are on, Bruce!

Cheers,
Lisa B.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Lisa Bronson
Associate Technical Writer
Evergreen Packaging Equipment
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
319-399-3239
~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~

"Writing about yourself is a tremendously powerful exercise. If you want to
know how accurately you perceive reality in the present, try writing about
your perception of your past. You just might discover an entirely new
reality."--Lisa Bronson

Bruce Byfield
<bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent by: cc:
bounce-techwr-l-66225 -at- lists -dot- r Subject: How Much Editing of Graphics Do You Do?
aycomm.com

03/06/2002 12:54 PM
Please respond to Bruce
Byfield

Without mentioning my own attitudes for now, I was wondering: how much
do other people on the list edit graphics?

www.ehelp.com/techwr