Re: Style and Procedure Schema?

Subject: Re: Style and Procedure Schema?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:14:46 -0700

Tim-

Given your example, it does make sense to standardize within your given
documentation set.

But I don't see the reason (or the feasability) of trying to make the
standardization fit ALL tech writing.

For example, suppose you decide that Chapter 4 is hyperlinking. And
suppose somebody else does not use hyperlinking in their documentation
(not at all unlikely for hardcopy instructions, particularly assembly
instructions). Should THEIR style guide have a blank Chapter 4?

The problem with one-size-fits-all thinking is that it never fits anything
perfectly.

Each job I've held has had style issues to be resolved, and while there
was some overlap in the problems to be addressed, there were also many
unique issues inherent to each specific situation. To try to anticipate
ALL those eventualities in one fell swoop seems like a lot of work for
something of limited/questionable usefulness.

But then, I'm of the shut-up-and-write school. YMMV.

-Keith Cronin

Anagrams for "signature line"
- unite in lagers
- releasing unit