More explanation about coaching for improved performance

Subject: More explanation about coaching for improved performance
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:26:17 -0700

Thank you to all who have responded so far. I want to clarify what I mean
about coaching for improved performance for those who have asked.

For each job there are desired competencies, some more strongly needed
than others. Say you need to be at stage 3 in technical knowledge, but
financial knowledge is okay at stage 1 (merely an pretend example). The
idea of coaching for improved performance is to develop the employee's
competencies in all areas, or even to help them grow their skills for a
future role. It also includes improved performance in those areas that are
found wanting during a performance review.

The following is my response to off-list questions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been involved in several corporations where coaching is part of the
management process, meaning that you have ongoing (usually monthly)
meetings with those you supervise--you coach them--and whoever supervises
you--he or she coaches you. It is also used to "develop" people, and I see
it as differing from mentoring since it arises from a management
relationship. Or maybe it just depends on one's definition of coaching
versus mentoring.

I asked the questions for several reasons. I have a very close friend
whose job is in jeopardy because of (in my opinion) an ineffective coach.
Also, since I have coached others, I am somewhat doubtful that just anyone
can be effective in that role. Last, I am reviewing a manuscript about
coaching, and it has caused me to seek the real-life experiences of others
who have been involved in coaching relationships on either side.

I know this subject is off-topic for the list, and I hesitated before
posting, particularly in light of recent list activity. However, in
discussions about resumes, hiring, processes, etc., this list has provided
a lot of thought-provoking responses. I appreciate your willingness to
respond to my topic.

Again, thank you for considering the topic and responding.

Pat Glass
wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
(working on my Web site--wordsync.biz--coming someday!)

www.ehelp.com/techwr