Tech Writing: The Second Generation

Subject: Tech Writing: The Second Generation
From: greg -dot- hamill -at- teradyne -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:46:22 -0500

I don't know if you would call my Dad a tech writer, but he did write a
sermon a week for 40+ years. He did have to

1) gather information - one was on the gospel according to Charlie Brown,
so he read cartoons for a while
2) evaluate his audience -
3) determine the medium of presentation - oration with no visual aids
4) cross reference other "documents" - hymns and scriptures
4) fit it to the style guide or template - 14 -16 minutes
4) produce it - four-fingered typing on his original typewriter from the
40's
5) present it -
5) evaluate the response - "Gee, I liked your sermon this morning."
6) revise the style guide -
7) go on to the next project -

It seems like that is what I do daily.
Greg