RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel

Subject: RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:03:05 +1100

Right...I will begin by stating that I am NOT an expert on Occupational
Health and Safety (OHS) - but that I usually don't snooze off during the
course....especially when it talks about desk organisation and the dreaded
CTS.

We had a refresher OHS course just a week or so ago, so the OHS information
has not yet been swept away by one of the projects I am documenting.

The points they made, and some - but not all - of these have been made in
other emails.

Feet on ground.
Good posture, good back support.
have all those things you use regularly in easy reach.
Avoid having to twist.
And one point that I noticed no one mentioned here, and in fact many seemed
to take the opposite tack - have your mouse and your keyboard on the SAME
level. Don't have one elevated and the other lower.

AS for what happens once you get CTS - judging by the various lines of
thought there are as many solutions out there as there are for bad backs.
The best solution is to try and avoid getting CTS - my earnest
commiserations to those already afflicted, good luck on finding a treatment
that resolves the problems for you.

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes