RE: web animation

Subject: RE: web animation
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 13:19:42 -0500

For all those who said web animation can be a GOOD
thing when it conveys useful info in a useful way...
I agree. Though... I have to admit that I've encountered
fewer than ten such sites since the invention of Flash...

For those who said "just say no" to animation and
flash as decoration, let me add:

The option on my web browser that says:

ANIMATIONS - just play once
- never play

is my friend.

Oh, yes, now that you mention it, there WAS a
selection that actually said "always play" but,
who in their right mind... :-)

A nice advantage of "just play once" is that sites
that use banner/pillar animated advertising become
bearable, especially when the advertisers foolishly
end the sequence on a blank window. I get to
see their advertising -- and thus don't have to feel
like a schmuck for subverting their money-maker --
but I don't need to feel like an aggravated patsy
as I try to glean some info or some entertainment
from among the endlessly twitching, flashing annoyances.

My elebenty-two cents worth.

*************

And, an additional buck-fifty:

<fudd>
There really IS an audience for sites that inundate
the viewer/listener with flashing, bouncing, vibrating,
morphing, raucus... stuff. That audience (in my limited
experience) tends toward multiple body-piercings (the
more inconvenient and high-maintenance, the better
-- "Ca' oo hep mee imjeg sum no'ocaine i' my 'ongue 'leez?
My 'ongue s'ud if infec'eb agai'.") and poly-chromic
hair.
What I haven't decided is, when they say "Man, that
site is so [cool*]!", do they really mean "Man, that
site is so cool!", or do they mean "Man, I guess that
site must be cool...yeah, those adults hate it, so it's
gotta be cool."

[*] Insert this week's epithet-of-enthusiastic-approval.

</fudd.

--
Kevin McLauchlan
Chrysalis-ITS, Inc.