RE: Password protected archived WP documents

Subject: RE: Password protected archived WP documents
From: Stephen McDermott <Stephen -dot- McDermott -at- PREMERA -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:45:24 -0800

Jan,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get there from here.

Even if you had WP, it wouldn't help, as you don't have the password. (If
you do have the password, find a copy of WP or get a demo).

A possible work-around might be to change the extension of the WP files to
.txt and open them in Notepad or other ASCII text editor and reclaim the
text that's in there. It won't be pretty and will be full of font names,
etc., but at least you won't have to manually type ALL the text.

Sidenote: Don't most password feature descriptions NOW state something like
"DO NOT LOSE THE PASSWORD. YOUR FILE WILL BECOME UNUSABLE. WE CAN'T HELP
YOU RETRIEVE YOUR LOST PASSWORD, SO DON'T EVEN ASK US TO HELP YOU."

Steve McDermott