Re: The Role of Tools in Getting Work (was: Green TW searching for software advice)

Subject: Re: The Role of Tools in Getting Work (was: Green TW searching for software advice)
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:21:43 -0600

In our previous episode at 07:44 AM 3/15/02, Jeff Hanvey wrote:

I can't count the number of times I've lost the chance at a position because I didn't have knowledge of some tools. While I understand that Access is a complex program (I'm gearing up to learn it now), I can't understand why experience project managers don't understand why it's impossible to transfer knowledge from, say, Word to WordPerfect or PageMaker to Quark Xpress. Or HTML to HTML Help.

Is there a missing "not" here? I don't think it _is_ impossible. One word processor is much like another. Once you know word processing, desktop publishing is fairly simple. Dunno about the HTML Help thing because I haven't used it, but my learning RoboHelp was jumpstarted by the fact that I knew Word macros very well.

I'll often say I'm not intimately familiar with a program, but I can pick it up rapidly. And I can -- several years ago, I spent half a day going through the FrameMaker tutorial included with the program, and between that and a few queries to the Frame list, I was able to do several jobs with FrameMaker. And even more gratifying, I was able to help other people on the Frame list who had their own queries. I thought that kind of ability to transfer skills was part of what made one a technical writer.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"I make mistakes, but I am on the side of Good, ... by accident and happenstance."

www.ehelp.com/techwr