Re: How are technical writers perceived?

Subject: Re: How are technical writers perceived?
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:07:27 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 8:17 PM

Yes, as long as you say it quite clearly.

I like to use the Pee Wee Herman defense

"I know you are, but what am I?"

My spiritual teacher used to say:

"They can''t get my goat because they don't know where my goat is tied."

It helps me to have a sense of humor about these email lists. No matter how
professional
the people are on them, they are people. Email tends to expand the emotional
appearance
of the content. People I agree with are lighthearted and humorous, people I
disagree with are
cynical and sarcastic.

I think Andrew is saying that he believes the emphasis should be on depth of
technical knowledge, while you are saying that you believe that knowing the
tech knowledge is a given, and the major difference is to develop the
writing skill.

Content vs. structure.

People write on these lists because they are emotionally stimulated to do
so.

Brad Jensen
www.eufrates.com
www.actasif.com