RE: How is life in these cities?

Subject: RE: How is life in these cities?
From: "Stewart, Lisa" <LStewart -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:01:56 -0600

Hi Ken,

I can help you out with a couple of cities on your list:

Springfield, MO (lived there for 32 years)

There are virtually no tech writing jobs and if there are, they are snapped
up quickly. Pay range for TW's range from approximately $23,000/year (entry)
to $50,000/year (TW management).
Quality of life is great...schools are probably the best in the state of
Missouri...child care expenses in the summer will run you about $80/week
(YMCA program) for a school age child. You can get a brand new 3BR/2BA ALL
brick house with a walkout basement for $110,000. Property taxes for the
year will run you about $1000 for the house. It is a great place to live, I
wish I was still there! (Southern hospitality reigns.)

Madison, WI (lived here for 2 years now)

Right now, there are no tech writing jobs available, but that will upswing
within a few months, I think. The biotech industry is the place to be here!
Pay ranges from $28,000/year (entry) to $60,000/year (TW management).
Quality of life here is great. Madison schools are horrible. They are
over-crowded and they are having money problems. If you move here, I suggest
you look at the surrounding school districts. Child care expenses in the
summer will run you about $180/week (YMCA program) for a school age
child...there is alot here for kids to do. It is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive to
live here. In comparison to Springfield, MO, a brand new 3BR/2BA ALL SIDING
house with a basement will cost no less than $200,000. Property taxes will
be approx $6000 for the year. If you enjoy a northern Midwestern
atmoshphere, this is the place for you.

If you want info on employment agencies in either of these cities, please
email me directly and I will be more than happy to compile a list for you!
:)

Lisa Stewart

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr