Info mapping terminology

Subject: Info mapping terminology
From: "W words" <wongword -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:39:13 +1100

I understand that Information Mapping defines 7 "Information Types"
entitled: procedure, process, structure, concept, fact, classification,
principle.

One document can happily contain all of these to the users benefit. I feel
that it is often vital to have procedures (ie steps for someone to take) and
processes (ie events which happen/result) and facts and principles all in
one document. It's the way they are combined, the language etc etc that is
all important.

My question
Does the Info Mapping theory say that one document can only have one type of
information in it? Surely not.

I haven't attended an Info Mapping course but I'm hearing suggestions that
all documents in an organisation can be divided up into three categories.
Then users (who know nothing about Info Mapping) will be able to choose the
document they need from an intranet from one of three headings "Processes",
Procedures" or "Principles". I don't believe this could be a true
implementation of Info Mapping. Am I missing some vital piece of knowledge
about Info Mapping?

Regards
Irene Wong

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr