Menus and tasks

Subject: Menus and tasks
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:31:28 -0800

We develop a web-based accounting package. There is a menu down the left
hand side of page, but custom menus can be created for groups of users in
the main frame of the browser. So, this means there is usually more than one
way to get to a function. The main menu and the "workflow" menu.

In our desktop application, we would always describe the basic menu path of
the function at the beginning of the task. To keep things concise, we would
not refer to other methods of bringing up the function (toolbar buttons,
keyboard short cuts, etc.). We described in the beginning of the User Guide
the other ways to access functions and explained that for the sake of
clarity we were only describing the menu path in the actual tasks.

We were taking the same approach with the web-based application, but now one
of the writers thinks we should take the reference to the menu path of the
function from the task and make it a separate "task" ahead of the main task.
In my mind, we clutter the task intro with more information and then offer
an incomplete task. But, I am open to considering a different approach. Any
thoughts?

Example of how we do it now:

Reviewing Posted Payables

Payables available for review include only payables
from posted batches, and individual payables entered
offline. You cannot edit these payables. You can,
however create a reversing payable. There are two
steps you take to review posted payables:

* Select the payable
* Review the payable

To select a payable for review:

1. From the Voyager main menu, choose Payables,
then Review Payable. The Payable selection screen opens.

2. Complete the selection screen to find the payables you
want to review.

3. Click Submit. The Payable screen opens.

To review the payable:...

His suggestion:

Reviewing Posted Payables

Payables available for review include only payables
from posted batches, and individual payables entered
offline. You cannot edit these payables. You can,
however create a reversing payable. There are two
steps you take to review posted payables:

* Select the payable
* Review the payable

To locate the Payable Batch screen:

From the Voyager main menu, choose Payables, then
Review Payable. From the workflow menu under Payables,
choose Lookup. The Payable selection screen opens.

To select a payable for review:

1. Complete the selection screen to find the payables you
want to review.

2. Click Submit. The Payable screen opens.

To review the payable:...

Steve Shepard
Technical Communications Manager
Yardi Systems, Inc.