RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing

Subject: RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing
From: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- Rad -dot- co -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:34:14 +0200

<It struck me that I have never seen these expectations
spelled out in any management article or book, nor in any
job ad, nor in any job description for a technical writer
or manager, nor in any set of performance goals, _except_
in cases where a formal Knowledge Management system was
involved.
I do not believe these expectations are so common that they
can "go without saying." Therefore, I conclude that such
expectations are rare (or else, logically, my memory and
experiences are deficient). >

It is very important to document (and keep updated!) the WHAT, HOW and WHY
of every business and not leave it as word of mouth. My experience is that
good managers who think long term do ask their employees to document the
WHAT and HOW. The WHY is problematic (I have almost never seen it
documented), but important. If you document the reasons for making a
specific decision, later on when things change, you can easily revise the
decision. One way of building it into your daily (routine, current) work is
actually adding it to the ISO procedures (if you have them anyway). I know
it sounds a bit weird, but if you think about the whole purpose of ISO
(besides consultans making money out of it), you'll find it fits in.

Erika

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr