Andy Richter Rules

Subject: Andy Richter Rules
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:05:07 -0600

Okay, so the show gave folks a vague idea about what tech writers do and it
made it look interesting. For starters:

--Andy has a private office with a window. In the first episode, he is
forced to share his office with a newly hired illustrator.
--All the male TWs wear jacket and tie.
--All the females wear $400 business suits that are suitable for evening
wear.
--All of the employees are noticeably 20-30 or so.
--Andy's current project is documenting a missile system. One missile
system, one writer. No sign of SMEs in the first episode.

The show was fast-paced. My wife and I both were surpised that it ended so
quickly. 30 minutes seemed like 5. We're eager for the next installment.

The show alternates seamlessly between "reality" and Andy's
stream-of-consciousness fantasies about work, his dead boss, and the
attractive receptionist. Andy is a modern day Walter Mitty, but not as
pathetic. He has imaginary conversations with the dead and still obnoxious
founder of the megacorp he works for. He fantasizes about the receptionist
and resents the pretty people of the world, believing everything is handed
to them on a silver platter. (Actually, I've heard that it's gold and
diamond-encrusted.)

Andy is likeable, but a bit devious. He did something dishonest in a
document and later fessed up to it. That really set me on edge and was only
thing I didn't like.

But heck, I enjoy an occasional bit of mindless drivel. YMMV.

-Ed

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr