RE: Jargon: Splitting hard disks?

Subject: RE: Jargon: Splitting hard disks?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:26:36 -0000

> I'm editing a procedure related to hardware that is normally
> performed by our production department (hence my lack of
> familiarity with the topic). The procedure calls for "splitting
> the hard disk in two partitions, c: and d:."
>
> Does simply that mean "creating an additional drive, named d:,"
> or am I missing something?
>
> I was told that "they" (the intended readers) would "know what it
> means." I dunno. If I were reading something that told me to
> split my hard drive, I'd be scared.

The term normally used is "partitioning", and refers to organising the
layout of the data on a single disk drive so that it appears to the
operating system that there are two or more separate drives, usually C:, D:
etc

Partitioning is not something I would expect the average computer user ever
to have to do, but if you are assured that your target audience is familiar
with the principle, then that is the term they will be using.

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr