Re: stock options

Subject: Re: stock options
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:48:59 -0800

Zack Brown wrote:

what kind of percentages do tech
writers, senior tech writers, and tech writers who do source level API
documentation, receive typically?

As Andrew Plato pointed out, shares are relatively rare for non-executives these days. Nor are shares given out on a percentage basis.

However, here's a rough breakdown on the number of options given in my experience with small to medium sized companies:

- support staff: 1000-5000
- writers and developers: 5000 - 10,000
- team leads and managers: 10,000 - 20,000
- directors: 25,000 - 40,000

None of which is anything to be very excited about. I've got 65,000 worthless shares in three different companies. Even if you're luckier than I've been, usually you have to wait 1-3 years to exercise all your options. In some cases, you have to receive permission from the officers of the company to sell, too. Then, the most you can hope for is a modest bonus - which may be welcome, but probably isn't worth the extra time you've been expected to put in because you're a shareholder.

"A river follows the path of least resistance, and that's why the river is crooked."
- Utah Phillips

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr