Re: Advice for a Canadian newbie contract tech writer on first contract?

Subject: Re: Advice for a Canadian newbie contract tech writer on first contract?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:23:56 -0800

sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com wrote:

I seem to recall a post or two from Canadian tech writers on this board before. If anyone has some sagacious words of advice, from the Canadian perspective, I'd love to hear from you.

I happen to be a Canadian, but I don't think your question is peculiar to Canada. No matter where you are, the question is: how much do you trust your new client?

It's only common sense to have at least a letter of agreement, but circumstances may tempt you to forego it. If you give in to that temptation, nothing may happen - but you may also get burned. Whether you're willing to take that risk depends on your sense of the client.

Certainly, you would not be out of line to ask if the contract will be ready, or to ask for a letter of agreement. You don't have to be confrontational; just ask politely, and, if pressed, explain that you need to know for long range personal planning, or to keep your accountant happy or something. You have every right to know your terms of employment before you start, and, a company that intends to deal fairly with you should have no objection to the request (just make sure that there's nothing in your attitude that could offend anyone).

"A river follows the path of least resistance, and that's why the river is crooked."
- Utah Phillips

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign! http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/