RE: More on Validating documentation

Subject: RE: More on Validating documentation
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:19:18 -0500

Eric,

It tends to be a YMMV situation. However, I think that a lot depends on:

1)What kind of writers have been in the picture in the past, if any. I had
to do some re-education where I am now, because writing user docs had been
part of BA's jobs before, and "writers" were relegated to the role of
document formatting and proofreading.

2) Corporate culture: it's harder if the corporate culture praises and
rewards engineers over other personnel (think we have it bad? Trying being
finance or admin in a software company), but it can be done. You just have
to be more assertive about it, and prove yourself pretty consistently. A
sense of humor is essential.

3) Your personality: I've always been a "do what it takes to get the job
done" person, and when the opportunity arises, I assist in QA, developing
specs and designing UI. Gives me a unique place here, because I cover a lot
of functions. I'm the SME when it comes to user support, and have earned
the position through providing the right type of documentation at the right
time, and on time. Plus being willing to go beyond writing. And it can't
hurt that I've found more than one show-stopping bug before major releases,
completely unrelated to documentation tasks, because I take the time to
learn the system. If you think you're just the writer, and they should be
coming to you, then it's a self-fulfilling, and damning prophecy.

I think the problems can be exacerbated if you hold to a "I'm the writer"
ivory-tower mentality, or if you don't like to speak out. I'm a team
member, made it clear in the interviews, asked to be invited to status
meetings as soon as I arrived, offered to help in QA and production, and now
have my milestones listed on the project plans. But I did have to ask a few
times. Now I don't. I take the blame when I goof, and I try to come up with
a positive resolution that allows every party to save face when it's not
really my goof.

Contribute to the whole team, get outside your comfort zone and you'll find
that the prejudice goes away in a big hurry. And you get to learn lots of
cool stuff you wouldn't otherwise.

I found the same kind of prejudice against professional communicators to be
even stronger in PR, and marketing. There was always an assumption that I
was the dumb writer chick, and that the marketing department was even more
clueless than those technical writers! Often they were right, but just as
often they weren't. Good think I moved to tech comm, the air's better up
here :)

Connie "SME" Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso