Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)

Subject: Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)
From: "Cowan, Margie" <Margie -dot- Cowan -at- Xacta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:01:24 -0500

Need some advice ...

When writing a document, which is scientifically numbered, does each heading
need an introductory paragraph before having the next subnumber ... e.g., if
I have roman "I" doesn't it need a paragraph/sentence that introduces 1.1
and 1.2 ... doesn't 1.1 need an intro paragraph/sentence before 1.1.1 and
1.1.2

I've always written with the introductory paragraph ... but that "necessity"
has been called into question

Also ... what is the rule for numbered headings not being "orphaned". By
that I mean, can you have a 1.1 without a 1.2? I've always contended that
there need to be at least 2 or it really shouldn't be broken out as a
separate item.

Many thanks for your help.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr