Re: Ethical Companies (no flame wars, please)

Subject: Re: Ethical Companies (no flame wars, please)
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:34:20 -0000

I was going to put just "not tobacco" and "not baby milk or torture
equipment to third world countries" - but Suzanne has made me think: there
are good pragmatic/selfish reasons for avoiding companies with unethical
business practices since, as in Suzanne's case, sooner or later they'll get
caught out and go to the wall leaving the employees high and dry.

For similarly selfish reasons, I'd also avoid companies with exploitative
internal cultures: e.g., I know of - but haven't worked for - an institution
with a macho tradition of presenteeism (sp?), when my friend goes for his
half-hour lunch break, he gets the "What? Are you working part time?" from
his colleagues. And that's all the time, not just when there's a rush on.

news:147605 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr