MS Weird style & autonumbering mania (help!)?

Subject: MS Weird style & autonumbering mania (help!)?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:35:23 -0500

Stephen Gillespie reports: <<I am _trying_ to edit a large (~80pp) doc
wherein the outline numbering system (aka 'scientific numbering), with
several levels, is not working properly. I've tried to edit the style
(masters) for numbering, to no avail (may be operator error !), e.g. if I
change a style number prop 'downstream', changes previous styles.>>

Welcome to the occasionally unpleasant world of Word. Autonumbering simply
doesn't work reliably in this program, and in large documents, you're well
advised to avoid it. Fortunately, there are alternatives involving Word's
field codes. Dave Knopf, one of our notable techwhirlers, has a solution
posted on his Web site that may help you solve your particular problem:

www.knopf.com/tips/autonumber.html

Good luck!

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr