Re: editing for nonnative English speakers

Subject: Re: editing for nonnative English speakers
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:13:35 -0800 (PST)

In article F94V0ruor9ZOX6pgEBz00004f53 -at- hotmail -dot- com, artandcopy -at- hotmail -dot- com ("Karthik Sundaram") writes:

>Am attempting a research paper on editing issues when writing for nonnative
>speakers of English. Will be grateful for experiences, leads to related
>topics and research papers that you may have accessed from elsewhere
>sometime.

We basically apply the same guidelines for writing for
documents that will be translated as we do for non-
native English speakers, as the things that can
potentially confuse translaors are generally the same.
There is a chapter on "Writing for an International Audience"
in _Read Me First: A Style Guide for the Computer Industry_
(http://www.sun.com/books/catalog/EdStyle/index.html)
that may contain some useful tips.

Janice Gelb | Just speaking for me, not Sun.
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/