FW: Click or click on

Subject: FW: Click or click on
From: Ann Waterhouse <Ann -at- Crescendo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:09:26 -0500

Alan,

At the risk of repeating what's already been stated on this list, I prefer
'click on' rather than 'click'. According to Maran's Graphics dictionary
"Click means to press and release a button on your mouse. Click on means to
move the mouse pointer over a certain object on your screen and then press
and release the mouse button." I know that the Microsoft Manual of Style
says otherwise, but then again, the Microsoft Manual of Style says a lot of
things which do not meet the measures of excellence for technical
communication.

For my docs I use 'Press' when it's an actual button or key (Press Tab to
move to the next field), 'Click' when the user should left click or right
click and 'Click on' when they need to click on a button on a GUI (Click on
OK to close the dialog box).

What do you use? Choose one and stick with it.

Ann Waterhouse
Senior Technical Writer
Crescendo Systems Corporation
5305 Notre Dame, Suite 200
Laval, Quebec, Canada H7W 4T8
Tel: (450) 973-8029
Fax: (450) 973-4449
This correspondence contains confidential company information intended only
for the person(s) named. Any use, distribution, duplication or disclosure by
another person is strictly prohibited.