Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?

Subject: Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:54:28 +0200

>Is it therefore acceptable for a student to write something
>like, "One writer, a Keith Cronin from Layoff City, Florida, remarked that
>'Information Mapping is utterly fabulous,'" even though I did not say this
>to the actual student doing the research? (If this is the case I shudder
>to think of what might be done with some of my sig lines.....)

There is no question in my mind that quoting from the list in this manner
is totally acceptable.

This assumes of course that the usual quoting guidelines are observed, in
particular quoting only what has actually been said (so it would be wrong
for the student above to say "Keith Cronin said to me"), not quoting out
of context (e.g., presenting a humerous signature as a serious
statement), and fully state the origin of the quote.

>I do not really object to this concept, but I wonder if some of us might.
>Or is that simply part of the responsibility we assume when we post to
>this sort of public forum?

I would think so - everything that is lawfully published is quotable
under copyright law. (Leaving aside issues like, when does a quote become
too extensive that do not seem to apply here).

Rgards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345