Re: STC Conference Speakers

Subject: Re: STC Conference Speakers
From: "Simon North" <Simon -dot- North -at- synopsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:36:17 +0200

I can't speak for all professions, but for the SGML/XML conferences that were
run by the GCA you were given reduced registration plus
a token 'gift' or, in my case of a full day training seminar, free
registration (worth several hundred dollars).

The NGN (Dutch association of network managers) gave me a nice computer
lock/alarm for a presentation on XML and networking
(though I was way out of pocket on expenses as I had to pay all my
own fares).

Some places pay generously (the most I've been paid so far is about
$1500 for a full day on XML/XSL/DSSSL), but a lot expect you to do it for fun or
simply the kudos (I'll be giving one like that at the end of this week to a society
of freelance translators on 'new technologies in translation').

I suspect it's a question of supply and demand, at big conferences where you
want to attract big name speakers you at least cover registration; at little
conferences (which --- sorry --- includes the STC conference), if there are
enough people to volonteer, why bother?
Since my employer usually pays for me to attend one major conference
a year under the banner of training, if I were to get a discounted registration I
wouldn't directly benefit (although we do have a bonus scheme for presenters).
Discounted registration could, however, make the difference between
attending something like the STC conference or not; otherwise there are just
too many other (more technical) conferences to go to and STC competes very
poorly (current favorite is the Extreme Markup conference in Canada -- well
worth it for anyone who is interested in markup per se and wants to look a little
further than the hype of XML and that pathetic little "hypertext" application
they call the WWW).

Simon North.

P.S. Anytime the STC wants to invite me to talk about XML, HyTime, DSSSL,
Topic Maps, IETMs .... they know where to find me, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.