The non technical, tech writers WAS Re: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!

Subject: The non technical, tech writers WAS Re: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:36:14 +0200

Andrew Plato wrote:

>I have no doubt that STC carefully caters the conference to exactly the people
>they want to attend.

The topics at the conference are similar to the main threads on this list. Look at the the list archives. You won't
find many technology threads. Almost none, if you exclude tools. But there are lots of threads re. professional
development and writing & editing.

Don't the organisers find out what the membership wants based on questionaires, attendance of sessions at previous
conferences, and other feedback?

>mention TCP/IP or object oriented programming (something that could actually
>help them write better documents) and people glaze over.

Doesn't this support the idea that the lack of technology content at the conference is not because of opposition to
it by the STC, as has been suggested, but because people don't want it? Or they don't want it in Nashville.

John Cornellier