Re: Tech Writing for Seniors

Subject: Re: Tech Writing for Seniors
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:32:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
> In the classes I've taught for seniors, I've learned to create
examples
> from something other than business life. Unless you're doing a
budget -
> and how many of them need to? - they don't see much use for
> spreadsheets. Databases? Think Christmas cards. Word
processing they
> can see reasons for right away. Many of them have never had a
cell
> phone and never will - besides, they might not be able to read
or
> accurately use those tiny buttons. And Janet's observation
about the
> interface on CD and tape players is right on.

More and more of them are writing, including writing their life
history.

Many of the internet-connected seniors use AOL, so if you
can relate it to something on AOL, you also might reach more of
your audience.

> And remember - these are the folks about whom the legend of the
computer
> CD ROM disk drive being called a cup holder was written.
>
> Elna Tymes
> Los Trancos Systems

I've got one better than that. A guy calls our support line, he
says that the archiving system is
'hung up'. "Is the computer turned on?" "Yes."

After going thru several steps, our support tech determines that
this requires a
remote dial-in with PC Anywhere.

So he asks the person to go thru the remote dial-in setup. No,
that doesn't work."Well, is the modem
cable connected?" "Where's that?" "It comes out of the back of the
PC and connects to a phone jack
on the wall." "Well, it's connected at the wall." "How about at
the PC." "I don't know." "Can you check?"
"Sure, but I'll have to get a new flashlight, the bulb on this one
is going dim." "Why are you
using a flashlight?" "We had a power failure a couple of hours ago
and the lights haven't come on
yet."

This is the computer room in a hotel, they are generally converted
closets with no windows. It
isn't quite as crazy as it sounds, since the other hotel computer
systems were plugged into the UPS.
However, the fact that no power lights were on on the PC, no
screen, no fans, no disk noise, and a power
failure, you think the guy might have mentioned this to the tech.
"Yes, the computer is turned on."

This really happened, at my company. We tell the story to all new
techs.

Pread Jensen
www.elstore.com
Are you still using ancient Egyptian technology to run the core of
your business?
Boost your internal efficiency overnight with paperless reports!
(sm)