Re: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)

Subject: Re: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:59:28 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not going to reproduce anybody's post on this topic or anybody's rebuttal.
I would just like to make an observation.

It seems to me that everyone, and particularly Andrew who wrote the original
satire that kicked off this version of the thread, forgot that it was attempted
satire. I think one may argue the merits of the composition, but one test of
whether a satire is good or not is how many people take it seriously. (In my
not so humble opinion, Jonathan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal' is the height of
the genre.)

Why in the world people would attack the content of a piece intended to be over
the top, is more than I understand. Why the author of the satire would then
feel obligated to defend as truth something he himself originally presented as
satire, baffles me as well.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 03/14/02
"Technical Writers: Writers who get paid a living wage."

http://taxes.yahoo.com/