RE: Tech Writing for Seniors

Subject: RE: Tech Writing for Seniors
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:35:49 -0400

At 1:15 PM -0500 4/8/02, Bill Buckheit wrote:

I have two elderly uncles (80 and 83) that I continually run into the communication gap with when I talk about computers. I've found that the frame of reference and analogies to things that they know about works best. The good old KISS principle also applies.

Anybody else?

I have two elderly clients, one 78 and the other close to 90. In each case, I was initially hired to troubleshoot and fix a specific problem with a word-processing program. In both cases, it has developed into an ongoing educational process.

Both clients started as complete technophobes. Their children and grandchildren, not to mention younger co-workers and computer store employees, had convinced these intelligent people that they weren't capable of understanding modern gadgets and would probably break something expensive. By the time I got to them, they were afraid to try anything at all. Over the course of two years, I've have worked them through various levels of technophobia and they are now proudly adding new peripherals, installing softwear updates and teaching their neighbors and friends how to do email, write and print letters, and surf the web.

The major advice I'd give to someone writing manuals or instructional materials for seniors is
DON'T SKIP STEPS.
Most of us take verbal shortcuts when writing procedures, assuming that users can fill in the blanks. This only works if the users share exactly the same technology environment as the writers. I grew up in a world full of electronic pushbuttons and dials that caused wonderful things to happen when I twiddled them. These folks didn't. They didn't see the "button" on a computer screen as anything but a 2-dimensional rectangle with rounded corners. It didn't look like an object that could be pushed to cause the computer to do something. I needed to describe the screen features and required actions EXACTLY, one step at a time, telling them what would happen as a result of each action.

My second piece of advice is to anticipate things that can go wrong, describe them clearly, and provide a way of recovering from the problem. If the interface doesn't do this for you, you will need to do it in the manual. Without the security of an escape route---a way of backtracking to a previously-experienced safe place---many seniors will be hesitant to try the new gadget (especially if they have younger folks around them yelling "Be careful!").

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services