Re: Question: Scripts for automating file renames and updating links

Subject: Re: Question: Scripts for automating file renames and updating links
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:30:47 +0200

Hi Annamarie

> My question. I'm working on a complex project with multiple writers
> where there are likely to be some 300+ files to deliver to the
> client. The client has mandated a file naming system that is
> cumbersome and difficult to read. We plan to use our own system and
> then rename the files as a last step before delivery. 90% of the
> files will be Word/Powerpoint pairs where the Word files have
> graphics linked to PPT. All this in Windows 2000 environment.
>
> There must be a way to automate the renaming of the files and the
> updating of links to the new file name.?

Yes, this can be done.

> I suspect that this is easy for the person who has the skills to do
> it., but I don't know what they would be. Someone who can write a
> VBA script? What else? Are there Web resources? Anyone have
> experience doing something like this?

You would need a VBA macro that would process all the files in a folder (or
hierarchy of folders), rename the files according to the necessary
convention, and examine each link in each file and rename it as necessary,
and then save the file. You would probably want to chack that no links are
broken beforehand as well.

This article demonstrates the general principles of running a batch, but the
code would need to be adapted quite extensively to do what you want. Its
complex but perfectly do-able.

How to Find & ReplaceAll on a Batch of Documents in the Same Folder
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm

Regards
Jonathan West